Thursday, June 23, 2011

Added to my To Do List!!!!!

Look what I found!
I know, so you're thinking...oh, but it's...!
Well to me this is priceless!
I found it at the Jopin, Restore.
I was there searching for a window, which I found, but
I turned the corner, and found this 1939 Hickory dresser.
I swore to myself a long time ago, not to buy anymore
junk to re-do! I even walked away, after checking the 
whole piece out.  Drawers in great shape, side panels warped, 
the veneer buckling up.  Walk away!
But there's no water damage!
Walk away!
And I did, walk away.

I went up front to pay for my window,
and what blurted out of my mouth?
"How much is that old dresser in the back?"
In my mind, I think, to myself, how could you,
you know you don't have time to re-style this dresser!
Tell the man, never mind, just pay for the window!
Then I hear the old man say, "Well, little lady, lets take a walk back and see!"
I follow like a hungry puppy!
The man, says, " well this just came in, haven't priced it yet.
Howse' bout $12.00.?"
I'm screaming in my mind!
 and say, "okay, I'll pull the truck around."

It was a good hunt for a window!
But the dresser gave me a rush!
It sat on the porch, for a week because I had things to do,
like finish the garden dig, and 3 new sculpts.
But today, I stripped the old veneer off,
 popped some new panels on the sides
and reinforced a couple of the drawers.
It's almost as good as new!
But me being me, I had no intention of restoring this piece.
In my minds eye, I had something else in mind.
The whole dresser painted white, with an image of
this,

painted on the front!
Or something like one of,
Oh decisions, decisions!
What to do.
Oh, this dresser came with a vanity top with mirrors,
but the mirrors were broken, so I think I'll
paint the vanity top as another piece.
It's shaped like a fire-screen...who knows what?
Halloween, vintage, traditional?
As of this posting, the dresser is painted white.
I swear this dresser will be finished, by Sunday.

Oh and I want to change my blog out again.
See, the to do list is always getting longer.

Be well,

13 comments:

LuLu Kellogg said...

I have that same dresser in my dining room! It houses all my trims! And...min is white now too! Eeeeek! Great minds think alike!

Love ya Girlie!
LuLu~*xoxo

JDConwell said...

Holy COW--what a find. :~P Yeah, you couldn't say no to that. Even if you had to wait six or eight months to refinish, it was just too good to pass up. Congratulations!

maddyrose said...

This is a terrific find. I wouldn't have passed it by either and I've sworn off bringing any more furniture home with me. I can't wait to see it finished.

Gourdqueen said...

Honey B, you amaze me with all that you do. I have an awesome dresser and mirror to refinish for a little friend of mine.
We are redoing Jessica's room. She's 6 now and needs a big girl room!
Lookin good B!
Gourdie

HI! I'm Tabitha said...

oh my i mught just burst at the seems with the fabulousness of that dresser and at a bargain price.... you lucky girl....
hugs
tabitha

Liz Revit said...

This looks like a great find. I can't wait to see it when you're finished. Good luck!

Dawn in the Forest said...

What a fantastic find....your so lucky! Can't wait to see it all finished:)

Cobblestone Creations said...

Oooooo this was fun to read! *giggles*

Theresa MacNaughton said...

What an amazing find, Lisa!!!! And only $12 - talk about a bargain! Hurray for you!!!! :) xoxo

Paula ~ castleandcottagesigns said...

Ahhhh!! Lisa I love the idea of painting the sculpture on the front! I can't wait to see it...hurry!!
xo
paula:)

Nancy said...

Oooooo...Lisa! I can't wait to see the dresser when you have finished it. You will have re-created a beautiful piece of furniture.
All is well here...will update soon!

Have a wonderful week!
Hugs, Nancy

Maggie said...

Shut the front door! You got that beautiful thing for $12.00? How lucky is that? And you've got a great start on it, too. It is going to be simply gorgeous.
Have a great 4th!

Marsha @ Tattered Chick said...

$12.00?!? SCORE!!!

xxoo